Monday, September 12, 2005

Home



Rain greeted this morning. Time to get back to my family. I decided to have another cup of coffee; the rain waned. It finally stopped.

I departed around 1030 hrs, and thought that I would ride into Kerrville for brunch and a phone call home - no cell signal at the River Inn Resort.

After a short ride along Highway 39, I said goodbye to Hunt and searched for a place to stop. Billy Gene's Restaurant looked good to me. After a short phone call home, I was seated on the back porch overlooking the Guadalupe River and drinking an iced tea. With a five - six hour ride ahead, I considered eating something light. However, the chicken fried steak listed as the first menu item under "Hill Country Specialties" caught my eye, and I ordered it. It was great along with the garden salad and service.

Forty-five minutes later, and I was on the way home. Today was a day to cover distance as quickly and safely as possible. I-10 to Boerne where I filled the tank. Highway 46 around San Antonio. It was hot. A stop for some Gatorade in New Braunfels (gee, the sky is very, very dark to the East). Back on the bike toward Seguin. Hmm, should I put on some rain gear? Too late. A gust of wind and a Texas sized downpour. I was soaked. I was cool. Keep going.

I-10 East and the rain stopped. Reflecting on why I didn't stop to don my rain gear, I conluded the following:

  1. There was not a safe place to stop.
  2. I was lazy.
  3. I was too hot to wear clothing that would not breath.
  4. I was lazy.
  5. I didn't want to take the time so that I could get home faster.
  6. I was lazy.
  7. I didn't want to dig in my bags for the rain gear.
  8. I was lazy.
The correct answers are 2, 3, 4, 6, & 8. Also, I decided to order Frogg Toggs and update my load plan as corrective action.

After one more downpour, I arrived in Houston ahead of the evening rush. Good deal!

Home safe and sound, with my family, at last.

M.

1 comment:

Dude said...

You have an interesting blog here. Some of the things people put are kind of strange. Another cool site is a debt consolidation site that is about personal finance stuff.

Anyway, I like your blog and will proably be back.

Take care.